- Start by folding the coffee filter in half three times to form a triangle. If necessary, use a paper clip to hold it together.
- Make a ¼ inch dot with the black marker about a ½ inch above the point of the triangle. Allow the black dot to dry.
- Put ½ inch of water in the bottom of the cup.
- Place the tip of the coffee filter in the cup, making sure the dot does not enter the water.
- Finally, watch closely to what happens as the filter absorbs the water.
Food (Or Drink?) For Thought
- What did you discover about the color black?
- Try experimenting with other marker colors and making predictions to see if your hypothesis is correct.