- Hold the two polarizing filters about 6 inches apart. Rotate the filters until no light makes it through the filters.
- Have your partner hold the plastic wrap between the filters. Slowly stretch the plastic wrap. What do you observe as the plastic wrap is stretched close to the breaking point?
- Place the clear plastic fork, knife and spoon between the filters, one at a time. Sketch the patterns you see on the picture below.
- No light makes it through the two filters before you put the material in between them. What do you think is happening to create the patterns you see?
- Try putting other clear objects between the filters (such as someone’s glasses, a plastic bottle, etc.) What do you observe?
- Gently bend the plastic utensils (without breaking them!) and observe what happens. How do you think you could use polarizing filters to find the points of stress in an object?